Rainy Day Girl

Sad as a story, my rainy day girl Sat on her hands in a saccharine world

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Recant

Photobucket
It was cloudy the second day, but the view from the beach was still lovely

Okay, I was wrong. And I retract the snide jokes about it being a junk-et. Club Med Bintan was heaps more fun than I expected. For one, there was a spa. What the PR girl (who scared the bejesus out of me with a call at 9am on Monday to ask me if I was at the ferry terminal -- when my ferry was at 2pm) meant by telling me "the spa is not ready", was that the new spa wasn't ready. What do I care about a new spa? A spa is a spa is a spa! Idiot.

Anyway
, it was great, if a little rushed because I had to cram all the activities in so as to be able to do my write up. In spite of it all, I was surprised to find myself relaxed, which for a tightly wound hyperpanic bunny like me, is something that almost never happens unless I am asleep. Hahahaa.

But I am proud to announce I am not drown'd by snorkelling, did not murder anyone at archery, and managed to stay afloat while sailing.

It was my first time snorkelling and I was hella scared because I am a poor swimmer who can't swim if water gets in my eyes. Seeing as swimming is an inherently a wet sort of activity, it is really quite a defeating archilles heel. But after a swimming test in the pool, I was cleared as only mildly incompetent and fit for the open sea.

The first challenge came when my guide leapt blithely into the water and asked me to jump in ... and by reflex I just squeaked "no". LOL. Then I made a clumsy sissy splash into the water and was glad for the security of my life vest and my guide, who took my hand and led me around like a baby.

I dunno how people make snorkelling or scuba diving look so effortless. I was a struggling, spitting, gagging mess. In between trying to 1) avoid paralysing my guide's arm with my Death Grip of Fear, 2) not drown in my own mask, 3) clear my mask and snorkel every 27 seconds, 4) look glam, 5) oh, and sightsee -- I was tired out.

But I now understand why people fall in love with diving. It's such an unworldly experience. I saw giant clams, and conches, a sea urchin, clown fish darting among the waving fronds of anemone, more fish, and huge masses of coral. It was lovely. Next time I ask for a child's mask.

Then, I tried archery. And managed to thwap myself in the arm on the first go, despite the plastic forearm protector. I was glad Fistula of Fury has gone to the big farm in the sky cos if he had been around, he'd have been sliced wide open. Eeep! First strike. Second strike: I find out that despite being right handed, I cannot close my left eye only. Hahahahahah! So I had to shoot with both eyes open. So came strike three: All my arrows went wide. All but three. Out of like, 30. I suck.

I managed to cram in a wonderful coconut and sea salt treatment after my busy day, which had started with some gym classes (they have 30-minute les mills sessions with the cutest button of a Japanese fitness intructor). I felt really really yummy -- like a kueh-kueh -- after the coconut oil massage, but as I got a tingly exfoliation with sea salt, it occured to me that I was kinda like a chicken being prepared for the oven. Hahaha!

And just before I left, I tried my hand at sailing -- which was easier than I realised. :)

Photobucket
Not drowned, after two days of sea sport! Snaps for me!

The best part for me was that the Club Med folk are super friendly, so in just about 2 days, I got know a United Nations worth of new friends. It took me back to university peer network days when we'd help the freshies feel welcome. Same kind of international mix and warmth.

Photobucket
The posse of bartenders who made me five types of cocktails in a cocktail showdown

Photobucket
Their crazy boss made me choose "the best one", but I was too buzzed to choose

Photobucket
Thomas, restaurant director and Pascaline, bar manager: two of the bets jobs, I reckon!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home